Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Introduction and explanation

I don't presume to know everything about Greeks at UF; but I know a lot, probably more than most of you. That's because observing people, especially those in the elite inner circle that is the UF Greek system, is one of my favorite hobbies. I'm pretty honest about what I see, and as cliche as this may sound, it's been an observation of mine over the past few years that things aren't always what they seem to be here at the esteemed University of Florida.

I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel. We all know the established and accepted social hierarchy of Greek houses is largely based on the tangible elements that contribute to a house's prestige: members' physical attractiveness, willingness to get drunk and hookup post-social, and oh yeah, stuff like leadership and academics. The Greek social hierarchy, while largely accurate, is also partly bullshit. I said I was being honest, right?

Sometimes, a good reputation is deserved, but sometimes, as is so often the case lately at UF, it isn't. I'm not afraid to say it if I think a "top" sorority has a few more than their fair share of ugly girls, and on the flip side, there are a few sororities who continue to get a bad rep and probably don't always deserve it. And let's not forget those fraternities who have always been on the top rungs of the ladder, and yet lately, have been taking larger-than-usual numbers of douchebag-looking pledges. Is the pool of acceptable applicants shrinking? Is UF falling prey to an increasing number of South Floridians?

With Homecoming week (and, perhaps more importantly for those middling houses who are uncertain about their Homecoming '07 future, homecoming bids) fast approaching, I can't think of a better time to open this discussion and air some dirty laundry.

For obvious reasons, the only personal information you'll get from me is that i'm a senior at the University of Florida and am, as you've probably gathered, affiliated with a Greek organization.